Auto Ads

Friday, May 18, 2007

And Now for Something Completely Different...

It's not even June and I'm burnt out on summer movies. After Spider-Man 3's meh-fest, I've decided that the best way to deal with the upcoming summer of sequels is to lower expectations entirely and hope to be surprised. At least that's how I'm approaching Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Expect ample amounts of sucktitude and you'll always be impressed.

To tide me over, I've turned to my other geek passion: video games. And the timing's right too. The multiplayer beta for Halo 3 became available on Wednesday to industry folk and people with copies of Crackdown. After a lengthy download last night, I prepared for a high-def fragfest that would drag me kicking and screaming back into the Halo fold. After 30 seconds, my session froze up and I was kicked off Xbox Live. OMGWTF indeed.

I know, it's a beta and I'm sure there are bugs. I'm not gonna get my needlers in a twist. Instead I fired up Crackdown, which I had purchased this week in order to secure my beta invitation. And I have to say: It's fun. Really fun. It's the most fun I've had with one of these "sandbox games" since I played Grand Theft Auto III for the first time back in 2001. You're basically a genetically enhanced supercop taking down 21 crime bosses in a sprawling cityscape complete with crowds and traffic. You can take on the mobsters in any way you want and in whatever order you want. Want to run him down with a semi? Go for it. Want to shove a grenade down his throat? Be my guest. Want to beat him to death with one of his bodyguards? The world is your oyster. And that oyster is badass.

No comments: