Auto Ads

Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Beautiful Day for Video Gaming!

As it happens, I haven't had the luckiest week. Venturing to Jones Beach last Saturday left me horribly sunburned for the better part of the last few days, with yesterday being the first day I didn't feel like a broiled lobster. Since I work in The Big Apple, I hid my stupidity by wearing my trademark oversized aviator sunglasses for the entire duration of my trainrides: half to hide my shame, and half to avoid eye contact with people giving me the "you're a f*ckin' idiot" look.

Lesson learned (SPF 50 is a must for fair-skinned folks), I'm leaving behind a trail of skin flakes wherever I go (gross). Today I settled in for a safer and less carcinogeous form of recreation: video games. I know, it's just an excuse to be lazy and avoid going outside, but I had a Gears of War craving and needed desperately to shoot something. I also tore into Guitar Hero 2 on my new career mode with my newly created band: Womprat. A vague Star Wars reference from James Wortman? Do you even know me?

Part of my Xbox 360 jonesing has been due to E3 '07 currently taking place. For the uninitiated (and probably more attractive and popular), E3 stands for Electronic Entertainment Expo. It's basically a way for game developers to show off their goods to the gaming media (there's a gaming media? You bet your ass there is) and give people a chance to test out upcoming games and generate early buzz. This year, the event is much smaller, with no access to the general public and less "bells and whistles" as far as the actual event goes. It's a stripped down trade show, so-to-speak.

What am I most excited about? Funny you should ask, my 3 loyal readers. Super Mario Galaxy looks promising, as does the new Super Smash Bros. game, both of which are for the impossible-to-find Nintendo Wii. Heavenly Sword for the PS3 looks pretty slick, despite being little more than God of War with breasts. But in this case, the breasts are heavenly, so I guess that makes it OK.

On the Xbox 360 front, we've got Halo 3, which I'm admittedly already sold on since I played the beta last month, and then there's Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock which has me amped. See what I did there? I love puns.

It's quite the exciting time to be a game nerd, and things just keep getting better. Games are getting slicker, more innovative, and more interactive with the online multiplayer boom and services such as Xbox Live. No longer mere playthings, video games have garnered significant legitimacy, and I can't wait to see where this rapidly growing medium takes us.

Happy Saturday, Wortmaniacs!

No comments: