Auto Ads

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tarantino's War Epic Gets an August Release Date

The Weinstein Company and Universal Pictures have set an August 21, 2009 North American release date for Quentin Tarantino’s long-awaited World War II film, Inglourious Basterds, Reuters reports. The film is inspired by Italian director Enzo Castellari’s 1978 film, The Inglorious Bastards. Tarantino’s misspelling of the title is intentional.

Inglourious Basterds stars Brad Pitt, and follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers—“The Basterds”—who escape execution at the hands of the Nazis and terrorize their former captors. The ensemble cast also includes Mélanie Laurent, Diane Kruger, Mike Myers, Eli Roth, Cloris Leachman and B.J. Novak.

While Tarantino’s last directorial effort, 2007’s Death Proof, was met with mixed reactions, it’s hard not to be at least intrigued by a Tarantino-helmed WWII film, which is sure to feature no small amount of bloodshed and stylized action. But will Tarantino’s brand of over-the-top violence trivialize one of the greatest tragedies in history?

3 comments:

Brad Tilles said...

It's hard to imagine comedic actors Mike Myers and BJ Novak in a Tarantino war epic. Yet I can't wait.

Chelsea Gwynne said...

hi! I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I felt I had to tell you that I was put through watching The Dark Knight last night.
1. 2.5 hours of pure terror.
2. I believe I now have heart palpitations.
3. I have learned apparently super heroes are flawed hence Christian Bale acting like a total jerk, and reminding me of his role in American Psycho.


Thought you would be proud of me! :)

Doomed True Believer said...

Ok let me first start by saying I love tarintino (and batman) and it seems to me like he has tried his hand at every movie genre. So I guess we shouldn't be suprised that he is finally doing a war movie. As for his choice of comedic cast members, he always has a humor in his films, just not the mike myers kind of humor. I can't say I've ever seen mike myers as a versitile actor, but maybe he'll suprise us this time! Then again maybe he'll be playing an over the top Nazi in fat suit. Sigh