Auto Ads

Thursday, January 19, 2017

About That New 'Power Rangers' Trailer


When Mighty Morphin Power Rangers hit U.S. TV screens in 1993, I was entering the fourth grade, and being one year removed from the perceived maturity of junior high school, I decided that I was too "old" to get involved, instead opting to devote my energy toward more grown-up pursuits like Marvel Comics, Timothy Zahn Star Wars novels, my Super Nintendo and collecting Jurassic Park and Aliens action figures. Clearly, I had an odd criteria for what could be considered "grown-up," but even today at 33 years old, I struggle with the definition.

Anyway, the inherent live-action cheesiness of Power Rangers didn't do much to draw me to the property fully as a nine-year-old, but I couldn't help but pay attention to it. MMPR was everywhere, and that's not even counting the knock-offs and also-rans like VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs and my personal favorite, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I never had any MMPR merchandise, but I definitely had Syber-Squad toys, likely thinking it was somehow more sophisticated because they were fighting monster "computer viruses" and were in a rock band. Thanks to YouTube, I now know I was very, very wrong.

I watched the show now and then in the early days, never really speaking publicly about it, and I've definitely seen Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie more times than I'd like to admit thanks to 1990s HBO, but it was the one big 1990s kiddie property that I juuuust missed.

Fast-forward to this week, and there's a new trailer for the grittier, edgier Power Rangers reboot. And you know what? I'm so in.

With the added credibility that comes with casting the likes of Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Banks in key roles, Power Rangers seems to be taking itself more seriously than any iteration of the franchise before it and looks, dare I say it, cool. Longtime fans of the franchise seem pretty happy with what we've seen so far, and I actually plan on being right there beside them when Power Rangers hits theaters on March 24.

Check out the trailer below!

1 comment:

Street View Online said...

Thank you for sharing the article.