Auto Ads

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Non-Spoiler Review: ‘X-Men ‘97’ Is So Much Better Than You Think It Is


At first, I got a tear in my eye from the lovingly updated intro. Then I got misty watching the team take down Sentinels just like they always did. Then, someone must have been cutting onions during the final five minutes of the second episode.

But yes, I watched the two-episode premiere of X-Men ’97 on Disney+ and, yes, it’s everything I wanted this series to be and more.

From the modern animation that showcases the X-Men’s powers like never before to suitably grown-up storytelling to the moments that massively impact the futures of these characters, this series is a worthy sequel to the cartoon that got so many of us hooked on Marvel in the 1990s.

With Professor X gone, Cyclops assumes leadership of the X-Men as the group continues their fight against the bigoted anti-mutant group, The Friends of Humanity. But, as was revealed in the trailer, that leadership is called into question when Magneto appears and reveals that Charles Xavier’s last will and testament left everything – including his school – to The Master of Magnetism. What ensues in the second episode is too juicy to spoil here, but I will say that team, personal, and family dynamics are set to shift dramatically.

As was the case with many of you, X-Men was a cornerstone of my ‘90s childhood, and I awaited this sequel series with enthusiasm, trepidation and, at moments, dread. After all, we’ve seen beloved ‘90s series brought back with disastrous results in recent years. But I’m happy to report that Marvel Animation crushed it, and we’re in for an X-citing ride.

No comments: