Auto Ads

Sunday, July 21, 2024

‘Star Wars: The Acolyte’ Season 1 Review

 


Just like that, the first season of Star Wars: The Acolyte has concluded … and what a ride it was.

The 8-episode murder mystery in that galaxy far, far, away brought us new characters, new creatures, new perspectives on the Force and new lightsaber duels while, offscreen, combat of a different sort took place as angry “fans” launched into long-winded, vitriolic rants on space witches, fire in space and characters using “hell” as an expletive – all things that have technically been part of the franchise for most of its 47-year history.

Toxicity aside, there stands a single question: Is The Acolyte any good? In a word, yes. I didn’t love every episode – I had some pacing issues with the first flashback episode, and I was disappointed that they would ultimately spend 2/8 episodes this season telling the same flashback story from two different perspectives – but there was so much to love about this season and I’m eager to see where showrunner Leslye Headland and her team take the story following the blockbuster finale.

Lee Jung-jae’s dedicated-but-flawed Master Sol emerged as one of my favorite Jedi in the Star Wars franchise, and Amandla Stenberg’s double duty as twin main characters Mae and Osha should be applauded, as I honestly kept forgetting these characters were played by the same actress when they shared scenes together. Plus, as someone who loved Manny Jacinto’s  performance as the affable Jason in The Good Place, I was impressed by his villainous turn as the mysterious Qimir/The Stranger. But is he actually a villain? One of many questions Season 2 will answer, assuming we get it.

Of course, there were two massive cameos in the season finale, both of which are worth discovering on your own if you’re still making your way through the series. Trust me, it’s worth the time.

Oh, but I did have one major issue with the show that’s best expressed on video. Check out my “rant” below, via TikTok.


@james.wortman84 I have a MAJOR problem with #StarWars #TheAcolyte#Disney @Star Wars ♬ Epic Music(863502) - Draganov89

No comments: