Auto Ads

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Is It Thursday Already?

Okay, so last night's South Park was a whole lot less topical than I thought it would be. Instead of a veiled social commentary, we were treated to a Die Hard spoof. It was still pretty funny. Check it out this weekend when it encores.

While I was not able to attend New York Comic Con this year, I was certainly there in spirit. As you may recall, I was pretty jaded when it came to comic books back in September (click here to read "Smeared Ink: When Comics Get Real"). A lot of my favorite characters were venturing into very dark territory, and it seemed like any semblence of that "gee whiz" comic book appeal had perished along with Captain America over a year ago.

However, things seem to be looking up. Amazing Spider-Man has been pretty spectacular (or amazing, for consistency's sake), and I'm really looking forward to Marvel's Secret Invasion series and crossover event, which will be rolling out over the next few months.

Speaking of comics, check out my Broken Frontier interview with G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero scribe Larry Hama, who's acting as a consultant on the live-action G.I. Joe film, due in theaters in 2009.

Now if you'll excuse me, Call of Duty 4 is, well, calling me. If you need me, I'll be the dorky bald guy yelling over his headset in Lolspeak. I can has sniper rifle?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely clicked on the link and re-read your article, which I love. I'm not really the comic book reading kind of girl, but the evolution of comic books from pure entertainment to social commentary is extremely interesting. I wonder if there are any out there that can really succesfully walk the line between entertainment and commentary, without falling too heavily to one side. So I'm going to be a huge dork and bring up Tolkien and the LOTR triology, which I think is extremely successful at being both. It can be read purely for entertainment value, as a means of escapism if you will. Or it can illuminate what Tolkien took to be social and cultural issues that needed to be addressed, perhaps most significantly the rise of industralism and its affects on the natural world. Anyway, this is me avoiding my interpersonal communication reading...

PS. I don't think you described yourself correctly. How about extremely intellectual man with clean shaven head?